I thought about blogging for a long time before I was brave enough to actually do it. I eventually took the plunge 17 months ago (has it really been so long). In that time I’ve published 241 posts, 242 if I include this one. Thats a lot of words. They may not have all been great words but they have been my words. There are so many reasons to blog and here are just 5 of them.
- Bloggers view the world differently. Become a blogger and you’ll never look at the world in the same way again. Every experience becomes a potential blog post. For me this enhances every thing I do as I look at it through my blog goggles. Wondering how I might describe something or present it on my blog increases my enjoyment and has made me engage with pictures, books and places I visit in a more appreciative way.
- Blogging equals better writing. We all know that the more you use muscles the stronger and more developed they become. It’s the same with the ‘writing muscle’ Bloggers are using their writing muscle pretty often, honing and refining it . Even if you don’t post daily, and lets face it a daily post will be beyond most of us; developing a regular writing habit will without doubt improve your writing skills.
- Blogging helps you find your voice. Most people have their own writing voice. When you start blogging you may not know what that voice sounds like. Writing about things that interest you or inspire will help you find and develop that voice. That voice might change as you change and develop but its your voice and you have the freedom to use it in whichever way you choose.
- The blogging world is a friendly world. In my experience bloggers are generally a supportive and positive bunch. If you write a blog you will certainly read lots of blogs. Commenting on others blogs is a great way of encouraging and being encouraged.
- Blogging broadens horizons. It opens you up to trying new things, visiting new places and meeting new people, virtually or in real life. There is a whole world of blogging possibilities out there, you just need to reach out and find them. I haven’t yet been brave enough to go to a blogging event but I’m planning to change that next year.
So if you are a potential blogger, why not give it a go, If I can do it anyone can.