Hawaii is a beautiful collection of 8 main islands, it is the 50th US state but is 2,390 miles from California. We visited just 2 of them during our trip, beginning at the imaginatively named ‘Big Island’. Perhaps unsurprisingly it is also the biggest island. It’ is built on Kilauea volcano, the world’s most active volcano. The Big Island is also the the worldwide leader in harvesting macadamia nuts. Who knew?
Maui our other port of call, is an island of beautiful beaches, lush green vegetation and the 64 miles of breathtaking views, and heart stoppingly curvy narrow roads that make up the stunning road to Hana.
These are my 5 Hawaii highlights from our recent foray into all things Hawaiian.
- The Beaches. Of course the beaches! Long and sandy, warm turquoise waters and largely uncrowded
- The volcano, on Big Island. Impossible to ignore, especially as lava dominates the landscape.
- Tropical fruits. Bananas, pineapples, mangos, papaya, coconut etc, etc all make it very easy to get your 5 a day.
- Turtles. The Green sea turtle is an endangered and protected species but we saw them everywhere and had the immense privilege of swimming and snorkelling with them. More than once.
- Exotic flora and fauna. My camera was groaning with pictures of beautiful Polynesian blooms
Thank you for indulging me with my holiday snaps
Have a lovely weekend
images Changing pages