Last week I was on hols in Dorset. Other than a couple of days in Lyme Regis a few years ago it was my first proper visit to this pretty country. It was lovely to become more familiar with the beautiful Jurassic Coastline, dip our toes in the chilly sea and visit some of the chocolate box villages that litter this county. Heres 5 of my favourite places.
1. Mapperton Gardens – We love a wander around a garden, and particularly one as overflowing with summer flowers as this one.
2. Lyme Regis – a pretty harbour town with beaches, fossils, fish and chips and the infamous Cobb that takes centre stage in John Fowles ‘A French Lieutenants Woman’. I last read this for English ‘A’ level, soooo long ago!
3. West Bay – better known as the Broadchurch beach. Sadly there was no sign of David Tennant
4. Town Mill Bakery – The breakfasts here are amazing. Freshly baked Sour Dough Bread, enormous batches of burnished buttery croissants, and sweet Danish pastries the size of plates.
5. Axe Vale Festival – I love a country show and this one had heavy horses, birds of prey, flowers, crafts, food and sunshine!
Have a great Weekend. Long live the summer!